Thursday, July 31, 2008

Co-Sign


Once a month my co-worker West receives his complimentary copy of XXL Magazine. He always gets a good laugh at my expense because I am genuinely psyched when I see the large yellow envelope. Usually there is nothing in it and it is a big disappointment. But this month in their up and coming section they wrote up this kid Asher Roth. At first I was mad skeptical when I saw the photo. Suburban white kids in a backyard doing a keg stand. I mean does it get anymore Beastie Boys referenced to death stereotype of a white rapper??? As I read the story three names came up that caught my attention DJ Drama, Jiggaman, and Steve Rifkind. I'm a fan of all three and all three have had their hands in shaping the music that I love. Hate them or love them they have made ill shit. Went to Asher's myspace page....needless to say the kid is nice. Punchlines, stories, wit, and he has charisma. It seems that Jigga passed on him and it has put a battery in this kids back. Nothing worse than a person with nothing to lose and has the talent and backing to make some noise. Didn't we all see the end of Carlito's Way? Go to the kids myspace page and download his mixtape for free...Click on the header above runts...